City Astrologer

Almost from the very first years of Krakow Academy(known as Jagiellonian University), astrology was one of the subjects that were taught there. It was very important science in the XIV century as well as astronomy. Many noble scientists dedicated their lives to interpreting movements of stars and planets, and many people and even city institutions based their decisions on the results of astrologers’ work. One of the most famous scientists, who, beside history, medicine and alchemy, also studied astrology, was Maciej Miechowita, professor and rector of Jagiellonian University.

Krakow, as many other cities, had its own astrologer. There are some notes from 1545 saying that the Krakow astrologer that year was Master Petrus, and for his work the city paid him 10 grzywnas(measure of unit of exchange) a year, that was not considered to be a big salary at those times. Some other city astrologers  mentioned in city archives are Master Bernard Krawczyk and Alberto Strazicz.

Polish phrase “was born under a good star” has its roots in the times when astrology was still popular.

Rate this post
Suggested
Suggested contents and articles.
Suggested Contents
The first sky observations were made in Krakow from the roof of Collegium Maius. Among the researchers is a student of the Krakow Academy – Mikołaj Kopernik. Research tools from those years are kept in the museum of the Jagiellonian University. We should also menion the observatory arranged by ks.
This strange pseudosience was brought to Poland by monks. It is considered that the fire balls that were used during the fights with Tatars in XIII century, were invented by Dominican monk Czesław Odrowąż with the use of alchemy knowledge. Each alchemist’s dream was to create the philosopher’s stone, which
Jagiellonian University Museum
Jagiellonian University Museum is located in University’s oldest building – Collegium Maius. Jagiellonian University was founded in 1364 by king Casimir III the Great. Initially, it did not have a headquarters and lectures were probably held in the Wawel Castle. In 1400, king Wladyslaw II Jagiello purchased a building at the
Comments
All comments.
Comments