Kobierzyn used to be a village near Krakow, today it is part of the city. The name comes from the craftsmen who used to weave carpets and tents. In 1913, the construction of a hospital for the mentally ill (29 Józefa Babińskiego Street) began there. During the Nazi occupation, the hospital was closed. 30 patients were murdered in the hospital, and the rest 564 people were transported to the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp. The hospital resumed operations after the end of World War II in 1945.