Lanterns of the Dead

Lanterns of the Dead were intended to illuminate Krakow’s paths in the Middle Ages. They stood mainly in front of hospitals, poorhouses, monasteries, and most of them near church cemeteries, which is why they are called lanterns of the dead. Several of them still adorn Krakow, although most of them have been rebuilt into roadside chapels, losing their original character. The outstanding artist Michał Stachowicz painted in 1845 a picture of the lantern of the dead. Today we can admire it at the Historical Museum of Krakow.

Rate this post
Suggested
Suggested contents and articles.
Suggested Contents
Church chains surround from the outside four Krakow churches: St. Mary’s Basilica, Dominican Church, St. Adalbert’s Church and St. Anne’s Church. They were made in 1825 by order of Urszula Dembińska, the forewoman of Wolbrom. This event was commemorated on a plaque on one of the walls of St. Anne’s
Street chains served a defensive function in Krakow. They were heavy and iron and stretched across the streets leading to the main square. In some streets, they were doubled. The beginning of their existence dates back to the 14th century. Even today, we can see similar chains on Floriańska street,
Historical Museum of Krakow
Historical Museum of Krakow is a municipal institution focused on cultivating local traditions and sharing knowledge of Krakow’s history. The Museum consists of several branches, scattered around the city. Its origins date back to 1899, as a division of the Old Records Office of Krakow. Employees of the Office gathered memorabilia
Old Town
The area of today’s Krakow Old Town (in Polish Stare Miasto) actually mirrors the territories of the town of Krakow from the Middle Ages until the end of 18th century. History of the Krakow Old Town begins in the 9th century and leaves an important mark in the origins of Polish statehood.
Comments
All comments.
Comments