On the initiative of the Chamber of Industry and Commerce, the Stock Exchange was established on the 20th January 1919. It was modeled on the Vienna Stock Exchange, and from 1924 based on Polish legal regulations. The stock exchange consisted of 174 members, including 54 banks, credit unions, 13 bureaux de change, commercial and industrial companies, construction and confectionery societies, economic unions and insurance companies. The main task of the stock exchange was to trade in currencies and securities according to exchange rates set by committees of brokers. The seat of the stock exchange was at Długa 1 st, then Mikołajska 32 st and Sławkowska 3 st.