Feliks Radwański

Architect, conservator of monuments, professor, senator of the Republic of Krakow, son of Andrzej. He was born in 1756 and died in Kraków in 1826. He studied at the Krakow Academy, he earned the degree of a sworn surveyor by measuring the villages of Ujsoły, Bolechowice and others. Professor of architecture, mechanics and hydraulics at the Main School of the Crown (Jagiellonian University). He made a study trip to France, the Netherlands and Italy. The author of dissertations on economic, industrial and agricultural topics, he was interested in various inventions, he himself tried to produce sugar from beets, he made a model of a threshing and mowing machine. For a year he published the journal “Dziennik Gospodarczy Krakowski“. In 1807, he bought the village of Swoszowice, known for its sulfur springs, and built the Spa House there. He developed the first project of surrounding the city with a green belt. In the years 1787-1791 he built Collegium Physicum at the St. Anna st., headed the construction of the Astronomical Observatory in the Botanical Garden.

In 1815 he became a senator of the Republic of Krakow. In 1816, a member of the Peasants’ Commission.

An interesting fact is that he saved the remains of the fortified walls in 1817 from demolition. The necessity to leave the Florian’s Gate to the fathers of the city was that the demolition would cause drafts, exposing the inhabitants to diseases. A commemorative plaque in his honor was placed on the wall from the town side.

Rate this post
Suggested contents and articles.
Suggested Contents
Painter, born in Biała near Jędrzejów in 1711, died in Kraków in 1762. He was first educated by the Piarists in Kraków, who later sent him to study painting by Franciszek Ekstein in Moravia, with whom he stayed for four years. After his return, he stayed in Jędrzejów, decorating chapels
The science of botany for medical purposes was taught at the Jagiellonian University from the end of the 16th century, but the university did not have its own research garden. Rector Kazimierz Stępowski in 1756 allocated 5,000 zlotys for preliminary works on the establishment of the garden. This idea was
University Quarter
University Quarter in the Krakow Old Town comprises the oldest buildings and collages of the Jagiellonian University. All of them are located in close neighbourhood to each other and are still in use today. The most significant points of the University Quarter are: Collegium Maius, Professors’ Garden and Collegium Novum. Collegium
All comments.