Kossak Wojciech

Kossak Wojciech was a painter, son of Juliusz Kossak and father of Jerzy Kossak. He was born in 1856 in Paris. In the years 1871-1873 he was a student of the School of Fine Arts in Krakow. He also studied in Munich and Paris. In his adult life, he lived in Berlin for several years, where he worked for Emperor Wilhelm II. He lived and worked in his family house Kossakówka.

Wojciech Kossak was the president of the Society of Friends of Fine Arts, the founder of the “Zero” group, like his relatives, he was active in many committees and associations. He visited a large part of Europe, and in the interwar period he visited the United States several times, where his work was highly appreciated by the local Polish community. He died in Krakow in 1955.

Kossak painted historical, war and hunting pictures, genre scenes and portraits. His most famous paintings are:

  • “Olsztynka Grochowska”
  • “Death of Sowiński” (Polish: “Śmierć Sowińskiego”)
  • “Ulan Courts” (Polish: “Ułańskie zaloty”)
  • “Panorama of the Battle of Racławice” (Polish: “Panorama Racławicka”)- painted together with Jan Styka. It is currently located in Wrocław.
Suggested
Suggested contents and articles.
Suggested Contents
Kossak Juliusz was a painter, illustrator and draftsman. He was born in 1824 in Nowy Wiśnicz near Bochnia. His younger brother was Leon Kossak. In 1842 he began law studies, and at the same time he learned drawing. In 1848 he became involved in the events of the Spring of
Kossak Leon was a painter, Juliusz’s younger brother, born in Nowy Wiśnicz in 1827. He served in the Austrian army, fought in the corps of general Bem in Hungary (1848), later lived in Paris and Australia. In 1860 he fought in Garibaldi’s troops, in 1863 he fought in the January
Kossak Jerzy was a painter and a son of the equally outstanding painter Wojciech Kossak. He was born in 1886 in Kraków. He attended the Cadet School. He often collaborated with his father – they painted pictures together and signed them together. He mainly painted battle, historical and hunting scenes.
Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow
Beginnings of the Academy The Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow was established in 1818. Initially, it functioned under the name School of Drawing and Painting as a  subdivision of the Department of Literature at the Jagiellonian University. It gained full autonomy in 1873 as the School of Fine Arts. The
Comments
All comments.
Comments