Balice is a village located to the west from Krakow on the road to Katowice. It is considered to be one of the oldest villages located near Krakow. It was owned by several rich Polish families, first by Tęczyńscy, then Bonerowie and Firlejowie. In the XVI century there was a beautiful palace with gardens and a big park. This place became quite famous and was even visited in 1574 by the king Henryk Walezy. Unfortunately the palace was totally destroyed during the Swedish Deluge. The new palace was built by new owners, first Szemberk, then Radziwiłł families. Nowadays the palace and the farm are owned by National Research Institute of Animal Production.
The biggest airport in southern Poland, Krakow Balice Airport, is also located in Balice.