Błonia is a vast valley located around 1km from Krakow Old town. It is around 48ha of green grass surrounded by walking and cycle paths, popular place for dog walking, family and romantic picnics.
The history of it is not so positive. It used to be a marshland with small islands of dry land which were used to isolate those ill with cholera, where this people were left to die. The swamp was dried after the regulation of river Rudawa in 1907-1912.
Since the XIV to the XX century it Błonia was also used as a place for cattle grazing. The special write to use was given for example to Norbertine nuns or citizens of some districts in exchange for something. Like it was with inhabitants of Zwierzyniec had to replace thatches on their houses with fireproof roofs.
Starting from the XIX century Błonia was used as place of parades and military audits.
In 1979, 1983 and 1987 pope John Paul II was meeting there with the faithful.
In 2016 Błonia became a central place for World Youth days when 3.5 million of pilgrims visited Krakow.