Bridges in Krakow

Formerly, the Vistula River was the border of the city from the south. The exit from the city in this very important trade direction was possible thanks to the Wielicki Bridge. Unfortunately, it was abolished in 1775 by a flood. Later it was rebuilt as floating. In 1501 the city obtained the right to collect the bridge tax. From Krakow, the road to the bridge led through Stradom, the Old Vistula and Kazimierz. During the first Austrian occupation, the government started building a permanent bridge. Currently, there are about 120 bridges, viaducts, flyovers and footbridges within the city limits.

Rate this post
Suggested contents and articles.
Suggested Contents
The bridge over the Prądnik River is a former stone bridge over the Prądnik River in Kraków, built in 1785. The bridge was designed by architect Sebastian Sierakowski. It was a single-span, 26 m long, 7 m wide, and the span was 10 m. The bridge was built on the
The Wooden Bridge is a former bridge built in 1828 as the second bridge on the Old Vistula in Krakow. It used to connect the city with the slaughterhouse established in 1818-1819.
The bridge in Czerna is a former bridge (now ruins) in Czerna near Krakow, unique on a European scale. It was built in the years 1667-1695 on the Eliaszówka river. A stone bridge connected the two hills on which the Hermitaria of the Carmelite monastery were located. The total length
The Charles Bridge is the no longer existing bridge in Krakow over the Vistula River, built in 1802. It was a wooden structure with brick abutments. The constructor of the bridge was Józef Schmidt. The bridge connected Kazimierz Podgórze. He was named Karlsbrücke in honor of Archduke Charles of Habsburg,
The bridge over the Dąbie is a bridge built on a dam damming up the Vistula River. It is located in Krakow and connects the districts of Grzegórzki and Podgórze. The bridge was built in the years 1957-1962 and has a cable-concrete structure. It stands on 10 spans, is 230
The bridge in Łęg, also known as the Nowa Huta bridge, is a road bridge built in the years 1950-1952 over the Vistula River, lying along Nowohucka street. Its designer was Józef Szulc. The structure of the bridge is made of steel, is 281.2 meters long and about 18.9 meters
The bridge in Mogiła was built in the summer of 1939 and it crossed the Vistula River. Its structure was made of steel beams on wooden supports. It was destroyed by the Polish army during World War II while retreating in the first days of the war.
All comments.