The Hutten-Czapski family is a magnate family of merit for Kraków and the National Museum. They came from Pomerania, and later from the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
In 1903, the Hutten-Czapski family donated a beautiful palace at Józefa Piłsudskiego Street to the National Museum. On the façade of the building there is an inscription “Monumentis patriae naufragio ereptis” (“Homeland mementoes saved from the historical storm”). This sentence clearly explains the goals of the Czapski Foundation. One of the streets in Krakow is named after Czapski.